[OM] Coming aboard

Subject: [OM] Coming aboard
From: The Searcher <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:37:11 -0400
Thanks to all of you for your responses to my introduction. I appreciate
it. It seems I was unclear about my disappointment regarding the relative
cost of Zuiko lenses. Respondants countered my criticism about giving up
speed with advice like, "Yes, but there are faster Zuikos, too, in those
focal lengths." I didn't compare these faster Zuikos to my Nikkors because
they aren't priced comparably. I think my criticism stands: for the same
investment, Nikkor offers, at the very least, slightly faster glass with no
appreciable compromise in sharpness. However, don't get me wrong, Zuiko
bashing is NOT my agenda. I am excited to try as many Zuikos as I can, and
I'm confident that my 4T will become a more natural extension of my body
than any camera ever has. Sometimes, however, I wonder why I invest so much
time/effort in 35mm system/lens selection when I know that the format is
inherently limited. I mean, a negative exposed in a Leica with a Summilux
is still a 35mm negative! I've had a lot of fun lately with an old Graflex,
a Symmar S 4x5 lens, and a 6x9 roll film back. It makes me daydream about
new toys - like Mamiya 7's or Fuji GW690's. Anyway, that's not really
important. I'll try to save that sort of rambling for other lists. I have
to admit, though, that chances are I will not be extememly active in the
all of the minutely esoteric technical discussions. Perhaps I am
inexperienced enough that I don't place the same demands on my equipment as
the rest of you do, so I don't find myself asking if I can connect multiple
flashes to one hot shoe (or something like that). I rarely ask the camera
to do anything more than expose the film for precisely the interval of time
I've asked it to, and then to advance the film to the next frame without
fogging or leaking. I end up spending lots of money on fancy cameras
because they handle nicely, and for little else. Maybe in time I will
appreciate OTF metering, but it's rare that I use the auto mode of any
camera. I do concede, though, that I will happily take advantage of the
built-in spot meter on the 4T. It will make my zone system practicing
possible without an investment in a Minolta spot meter!

Thanks again!

Jason