[OM] Macro

Subject: [OM] Macro
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:52:53 +0000
Have just got back the results of the first session using the "indoor"
macro set-up recently acquired (VST stand/bellows/20 & 38 mm lenses/T10),
subject furry moth.

The pictures are fantastic, the images are very sharp along the plane of
focus, the
T10 ringflash has (for some reason) left no "signature" where the glass
background is showing, the moth itself looks like an owl (there are no
reflective surfaces on the subject). The TTL flash exposure is spot-on
(even through inches of bellows). I do find however that using the T10 with
extn tubes/50mm lens hand held that I sometimes get slight underexposure,
exposure calculation may vary depending on backgrounds (B or W) I suppose.

Even at the maximum magnification the 20 and 38 lenses are very sharp,
though dof is obviously wafer thin. I find it quite interesting to adjust
the plane of focus to produce the best effect, especially on a 3D object
such as an insect. Have just completed next series of honey bee.
.
I found before using a centon flash (on manual) that an image of the flash
ring itself
often appeared reflected back from the glass surface on which object was
placed.
I had to try and minimise the effect.

I will hopefully produce a variety of macro shots using all the lenses/kit
for the City & Guilds module all magnifications indoor and outdoor.

Richard