Re: [OM] Olympus AF SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus AF SLR
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:26:08 EDT

<< "1. Olympus owns an OM-AF mount already, there is no need of R&D for
 that.

  2. Olympus does use fast and reliable AF SLR machinery on IS series.

 Conclusion: Olympus might design an OM camera simply by modifying an IS
 body and mounting an AF-OM bayonet on it."

Olympus made a couple of bad errors with the OM-77.  There is no ability to do
any type of exposure compensation (other than pointing it at a dark or light
part of your scene and doing exposure lock).  There is limited ability to use
manual focus (the manual focus lever is kludgy and mostly unusable).  If I
can't vary either my exposure or focus much, then it falls very short of being
anything other than a large P&S.  The IR focus assist beam works fine in the
dark, OTOH, and I get aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinder.

I think that all the R&D has been done for an AF systems.  I would appreciate
a basic AF model with the functionality of at least at the OM PC level, with
TTL flash, manual override of AF on the lens, and exposure compensation. I can
adapt to any other deficiencies.

Warren Kato