Re: [OM] OM 10 and OM 20 TTL Flash???

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 10 and OM 20 TTL Flash???
From: Konrad Pizzuto <pizzuto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:21:19 -0700
I'd like to hesitate a reasoning on the subject in caption:

A flash gun gives a flash whose duration ranges from 1/10000 to 1/1000
of  a sec.  Right!  Now, we know that above the X sync speed of a
camera, the width between curtain 1 and curtain 2 will be less than a
frame width.  Therefore, granted that the camera (OM-10) in this case
were capable of changing what it initially meters as a >1/2 sec exposure
for example into something faster than 1/1000, the effect would be of
having just a slit shaped photo.

In practice, I indirectly discovered the answer to this by using my
Miranda flashgun in the wrong way for years.  With the OM-10 on auto,
the Miranda is not recognised and does not set the 1/60 shutter speed.
Hence the flash fires but the exposure continues at 1/2 or 1, or 1/4 etc
speed as is initially calculated by the meter.  Result = 1 sharp storage
of the image plus blur.  Therefore, I suppose the method suggested by
yourself would not work.

Anyway, if you do manage to get it to work, I'd love to know about it.

regards

Konrad Pizzuto

Stuart Goggin wrote:

> I just read a comment about the OM 10 and 20's ttl autoflash capability.
> These bodies do not have the flash quench facility that the OM 2,4's have,
> so they cannot shut the flash off at the correct exposure.   But they do
> have OTF metering,  doesn't this mean that they will close the shutter when
> the correct exposure is reached.   So if I were to hook up a powerful flash
> to the OM10 or 20 body and have it trigger at exposure time,  shouldn't the
> body detect when the correct exposure has been made and shut the shutter.
> The flash would do a full burn but only part of this would be used.    Maybe
> the second curtain release would not react fast enough to the flash exposure
> resulting in over exposure,   but it would be interesting to test out...
>
> Has anyone done any experimentation with this?
>
> Stuart

<hr>
Homepage</a>