Re: [OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:30:39 -0700
I'm not sure if "talent" is the fair meaning here, but rather "skill".  Nor
is it my intent to wordsmith, but I believe the distinction is important.
To my thinking, talent is the ability to "see", to express an idea, thought
or feeling.  Skill is the ability to apply some tool and/or process to
making it actually happen.  One sees an image in their mind's eye (talent)
and creates that image with camera and film (skill).  Both skill and talent
are enhanced by learning and experience.  Both are important to master.  But
while automation can buy an awful lot of skill sometimes,  it can never buy
talent.  In the hands of an artist, even the most automated of the
automatics becomes an expressive extension of talent once the artist masters
the tool.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".

Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx> expounded: