Re: [OM] Please advise on MC

Subject: Re: [OM] Please advise on MC
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:23:10 -0800
Dear Zuiks/Zuikettes:

It looks like we are yet again embarked on our (quarterly?) relentless
pursuit of "Truth in Multi-Coating" :-), so let me add to a few comments
made thus far.

Rand E. Tomcala wrote:

>I believe the exceptions to this rule, the way it is shaping up, are the
>"S" series as noted in the FAQ.  The "S" series, as recently mentioned,
>were the "consumer grade" among the Zuiko's.  My 100-200 follows also,
>ie black nose but no real sign of MC.

My 100-200, ser.#1569xx is definitely, very visibly MC.  AFAIK, all
S-series zooms were MC, although there is some doubt as to whether
the 4 S-series zooms were made by Olympus, or farmed out to a sub-
contractor, in which case their MC recipes may be different from OLY.

Bill Rice wrote:

>>I have the same scenario with my 75-150/f4.  It has a black nose and
>>high serial number but the reflections are purple and cream.  I've
>>been unable to verify this lens had a MC version.

The OM Lens Handbook claims that this zoom is MC.  Mine is ser.#3044xx,
and shows no blue/green reflections.  The OM Lens Group brochure from
09/80 mentions only 3 zooms: 35-70/f3.6 and 85-250/f5 are specifically
designated MC, whereas the 75-150/f4 is not.  Assuming that the Handbook
doesn't lie (oops, sooo sorry, I meant: mislead), it is possible that
in 75-150, Olympus's first zoom, a different MC formula was used.

Giles Stewart wrote (about his 300/f4.5 F.Zuiko):

> Then one day I noticed a very subdued greenish reflection - sort of
> a british racing green with a touch of blue.  I noticed it in direct
> sunlight.  The main reflected colour is bronzy/straw colour.

Giles, I think the color you saw is called "Emerald Green", and it can
be observed in SC Zuikos only when they are transported to Ireland. :-)

Also, someone wrote (sorry, I couldn't find the original message) that
the 200/f4 Zuiko was always black nose and MC.  Not true -- on both
counts!! (and I have proof, of course :-))

Finally, I'd like to remind every single owner of those grossly inferior
SC Zuikos, that I am prepared to unburden you of them -- at a very fair
price of US$1.00 per ounce. :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA