[OM] island species and olympus

Subject: [OM] island species and olympus
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:10:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [OM] mouths and money
Hi Jim:
> islands are evolutionary dead ends.
As a Conservation Biologist, I might comment that they are often wonderful
areas for DIVERGENT genetic evolution, leading to many subspecies and species,
and in rare cases unique genera.  Plus it doesn't have to be a water
surrounded island.  Isolated mountain ranges are also islands, albeit "islands
in the sky."
Gary Reese
======
Gary et al.
As a biogeographer I must add that most(!) island species eventually go
extinct unless there is some genetic influx from a "mainland" (a genetic
source pool). Or they become vulnerable because they loose certain mainland
survival features (e.g. flight in the Mauritius Dodo bird).
 In Olympus terms this means Olympus better adopt some ideas and new
technologies (AF or backfocussing, high-eypoint vf, digital backs etc.) to
revive their OM line instead of relying on their early 1980's inventions.

Jan
=======