Re: [OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:00:08 +0000
Olympus is never going to rise from the ashes through adoption of AF
and 3D colour matrix metering and go on to conqour Canon and Nikon in
the PRO end of the business.  Would we want to use Olympus gear if
they did, given the features which would have to be compromised to
achive such an end?

I think Olympus could well afford to throw us a few scraps from the
table of their apreciable earnings.  A Powerful F type flash and a
couple of new lenses would do.  It might not be commercialy viable or
profitable to do so but I think a little cross subsidisation would not
hurt the company in the least.

I believe there would be a negative impact for Olympus in terms of
public perceptions and prestige if they do allow their 35mm SLR
business to cease completely.

I see a paralell to how Fiat pulled out of the Australian car market
some years ago for some then expediancy.  Since then the size of the
Australian market has increased quite a bit through population growth.
 I bet Fiat would love to be sharing in the spoils of the Australian
market nowadays but that the cost of starting from scratch is too
high.