Re: [OM] saving the OM system

Subject: Re: [OM] saving the OM system
From: EdMall@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:15:04 EDT

<< unless Olympus aggressively markets it -- to the serious photographer,
 not just  the "nuts" >>

I take issue with the idea that OLY is marketed to "nuts."  Sounds to me like
you're putting yourself (and this group) down.

<<What this group needs to do is to convince Olympus that the OM system is
a viable niche product, but it cannot survive if Olympus fails to
introduce new products on a regular basis, price it competitively, and
(most important) promote it aggressively.>>

Is not the OM2000 exactly what you're asking for?  Isn't this some kind of
commitment from Olympus?  While it may not be an OM1, in many ways it is
superior.  And look at the price...Compared to what the OM1 went for when new,
this is really bargain priced.  And it has spot metering, a higher shutter
speed, a higher flash sync, and it uses regularly available batteries (that
also fit OM4T, et.al).  The lack of mirror lock up is somewhat compensated for
by mirror prefire with self-timer.  Of course, you do have to give up M sync.
Unfortunately, you have to give up motor drive, too.  A small price.  The
OM2000 is a little larger than, and a little lighter than the OM1, and keeps
that big metal lens mount.  IMHO, an excellent replacement for the OM1 and an
excellent backup to my OM4T.
You've got to realize that it's not just Olympus SLRs that are not being
purchased, but ALL SLR sales are extremely depressed since the heyday of the
SLR in the 1970s.  Instead of buying SLRs, today's discretionary spending is
going for Video Cameras, digital cameras, computers, and much easier to use
P&S and APS.
I don't think a plastic, do-everything starter SLR like those seen in KMart
and WalMart would do anything to enhance the Oly line.  Neither do I think a
tank of a camera is necessary.  Maybe you can't walk into your local camera
store and buy the entire (or any of) OM lineup.  But you can, indeed, buy the
whole lineup if you look hard enough (try B&H for starters).  If you don't
think Olympus supports the OM system, you haven't called them.
"Nuts?"  Nope.  Appreciative of fine equipment?  I buy that!
Ed