Re: [OM] Zuiko 8mm fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 8mm fisheye
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:05:57 -0800
Denton Taylor wrote:

>Zuikos [and] the Nikon 8mm in are tremendous demand for Virtual Reality.
>I just saw a post on the panorama list that claims a company offered to
>place an order with Nikon for some hundreds of these lenses and they
>turned it down, saying they no longer had tooling...

Hmm, M*nolta made a very excellent, plenty sharp 7.5mm F4 fisheye which
can be bought for under $500, and Sigma, whose expertise in super-wide
and fisheye optics is well respected, still offers a manual focus 8mm F4
($680 new from B&H).

I find it hard to believe that in VR applications one stop slower optics
makes much difference.

Another possibility would be to use a P*ntax K mount 16mm F2.8 fisheye
which in 35mm is full-frame, on a MF Pentax 67 SLR.  Dunno whether such
adapters are available (Pentax does offer 67/645 to K-mount adapters for
its Takumar MF lens line), but to me it sure sounds like a feasible, as
well as a technically superior solution.  Comments from MF and/or VR
experts (I'm neither!) are welcome.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA