[OM] Re: T-32 vs. Auto 310

Subject: [OM] Re: T-32 vs. Auto 310
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:18:42 -0700
On 18 Oct 98, at 19:50, John Desbiens wrote:

> I stopped in last week to a local camera shop here in  N.H. to check the
> used OM stock. He had a 1/2 dozen flashes for sale. They all looked like
> T-32's but 2 of them were Auto 310's. How do these 2 compare? He had
> them both priced the same at $65, (I picked out a mint T-32 at this
> price). As the owner for many years of a T-20 I find the T-32 to be a
> much more complete flash unit. I'd appreciate any comments on what made
> these 2 units different. Also he had a 55mm f1.2 with clean glass,
> (overall nice condition), for $75, any comments on its performance and
> its market value, (I already have a 50mm f1.4), but am thinking of
> picking this up. Thanks

The 310 is quite a solid flash, but is also quite old now - I have two of them
dating back to the late 70s, one works fine, and the other has a dead cap.
Typically they sell for about half the cost of a T32, so you did the right
thing
in getting the T32.

A few reasons you *might* want a 310 instead of a T32:
-if you have an older bounce grip 1 designed to work with it (I have one, and
it
works well, but no TTL unless you also have the TTL auto cord for it.
-if you have an OM-2 with Shoe 2, which is the only way to get TTL with this
flash. On other bodies, it is normal auto only, using the built in sensor, as
the older TTL system is not compatible with newer T-series flashes.
-you need to collect every OM system component (in which case, please
contact me offline... I'll trade you a 310 for a T32... ;-))

I have used mine on an OM-2, 10 and 4T, and even a N*k*n 2020, and it has
always worked well (aside from the blown cap). But except for the unusual
cases above, the T32 is supposed to be a much more capable unit.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)