Re: [OM] Close focus cheap solution

Subject: Re: [OM] Close focus cheap solution
From: Jan Vantomme <jan.vantomme@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:14:21 +0200
Richard Dale wrote :

>Should I invest in one macro capable lens? Should I buy a set
>of extension tubes (are bellows different or the same thing) ? Or should I
>just get a set of close up lens attachments? ....

For those who like to experiment with optics I once made the following
macro set up with an objective lens from an old 7x50 binocular :

Tape the achromatic objective from the bino to the front of a standard
50/1.8.  The outside ring from an 49mm filter has +/- the same diameter as
the OD of this lens.
The most convex side of the bino-lens ( the front side when it was still a
bino ) must be pointing towards the standard lens. The distance between the
lenses is unimportant, just watch they don't touch.

Set the camera lens at infinity.  Objects +/- 20cm in front of this setup
will now be in focus.  Move the camera on its tripod to focus roughly, use
the lens for fine adjustment; but do not move too far from the infinity
setting.
This gives you a 4:1 ratio.
A short black cardboard tube over the lens is a good way to block stray light.
The camera functions, light measurement, f/ settings etc. are unaltered.
No compensation is needed.

The results at f/8-f/16 were better than expected. (The bino lens then
"works" at f/32-f/64 and will give nearly no additional aberations)

If it works fine for you, make a permanent fixure to a 49mm ring, ready for
use when needed.

You can use the same lens in front of longer objectives 100/2.8 ;  135/3.5
(ratio 2:1 and 1.5:1), but then higher f/-settings (f/11-f/16) are needed
for best results.

Give it a try and have fun.
Don't dismantle your multi-$$$ new Zeiss 7x50 for it!

Jan