Re: Re[2]: [OM] New price for Zuiko lens in Japan.

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [OM] New price for Zuiko lens in Japan.
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:21:46 -0400
|ALL MANUFACTURER ALWAYS HAVE 1001 EXCUSES TO INCREASE PRICING.
|WILL THE DAY COME WHERE THE PRICES SLASHED DUE TO WEAKER YEN????
|I DON'T THINK SO.

I think they are trying to keep the foreign-currency prices the same despite
the drop in the yen.  The reason is that the cost of doing business outside
Japan hasn't decreased.

|TAKE ELECTRONCS COMPONENT AND COMPUTER PRODUCTS AS AN EXAMPLE, PRICES
CONSTANTLY
|REDUCED WITHIN COUPLE OF MONTHS. WHY NOT THE CAMERA EQUIPMENT?

Electronics and computers are benefiting from very rapid technical progress.
Cameras and optics (especially Olympus OMs) are not progressing so much.  If
you want to see some cameras whose price is dropping very nicely, look at
autofocus SLRs such as Nikon N70 and Canon Rebel compared to their
counterparts a few years ago.