Re: [OM] Close focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Close focus
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:02:26 GMT
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:12:42 -0800, Gary Schloss
<schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

snip....snip

>However, I would experiment first with the two OLY close-up lenses.
>In my experience, both work very well with all std. Zuiko lenses.
>Did anyone try them with the two 50mm macro Zuikos?  Pls report.
>
>Cheers,
>

>/Gary Schloss.
>Studio City, CA
>schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I did, Gary. I tried all kinds of close-up lenses on all kinds of
zuiko primes (and even zooms!) before I purchased the 'real' macro
stuff. The single element Olympus close-up lenses do well on the 50mm
macro-lenses too. Their use doesn't make too much sense though - the
extension of the 50mm macros allows for a 1:2 magnification ratio as
it is, and the relative gain from the diopters is only small (10%?)

BTW, these simple close-up lenses are easily outperformed by the
Olympus IS-series 2-element macro adapters (A-type for 49mm rim,
B-type for 55mm rim). In spite of the fact that I own all Zuiko macro
lenses now, I still use these f=40cm IS-adapters often when traveling
light. They are great on all lenses with focal distances between 50
and 200mm.

I have no experience with other brand achromatic diopters, but these
Olympus ones are of a very high quality. I have no means to do an
objective perfomance comparison - maybe someone else has?

Also the so called f=13cm life-size adapter (A-series, 49mm) which has
3 elements in two groups is simply superb, IMHO.

Frank van Lindert,
Utrecht NL.