Re: [OM] wide angle zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle zoom
From: Bill_J._Rice_at_RLT012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:39:44 -0500
     In a message dated 10/21/98 you wrote:

     >Has anyone ever heard of an 18-28mm zoom lens being manufactured by
     >anyone?

     Hi Steve,

     I have a Vivitar zoom that's 17-28/f4-4.5.  I think it's made by
     Samyang because 'Korea' is engraved on the mount.  Never heard of an
     18-28mm though.

     The Vivitar is a fairly good quality lens for the money (~$150US).
     Metal body, two-touch zooming, very smooth.  Had to fill in one of the
     screws on the mount so it wouldn't shave off the reset button on my
     OM-4.

     Pics are a bit soft at the wider apertures.  It's certainly not in the
     same league as a Zuiko.  But it still is a fun lens to work with.  One
     drawback is that it only focuses to 1.7 feet.  This is not as close as
     a single focal length lens so it doesn't give the extreme exaggerated
     perspective effects.

     Bill Rice