Re: [OM] OM-2 auto exposure; quirky behavior; MD badge; misadjus

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2 auto exposure; quirky behavior; MD badge; misadjus
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:49:47 -0800
On 22 Oct 98 at 5:54, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> All the multicoated Zuikos I've seen have green reflections. If they're
> another color, the lens probably isn't multicoated. I recently bought an
> Infinity Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX and (surprisingly) it isn't
> multicoated. (Nor is my IS-10.) The reflections are purple, and
> more-intense than those from multicoated lenses.
>
> It's rather odd to design a camera with automatic fill-in flash, then
> put a complex lens on it that isn't mutlicoated. Of course, Olympus
> might have tested the designs to confim they didn't suffer from
> excessive flare and decided to single-coat them as a cost-saving
> measure.

I think you are making too many assumptions about MC here. It is quite likely
the lenses for P&S cameras are made in a different factory than Zuikos,
possibly not even by Oly, so it is quite possible they employ MC quite
different in its characteristics.
I have a MC Zuiko 85/2 which looks quite different from my MC 50/1.8, and my
28/2.8 Tamron MC is *way* different - bright red!.
I think it is a stretch to compare coatings on Zuikos to P&S lenses, or even
the IS lenses.

(IMHO)