Re: [OM] OM-2, lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2, lenses
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:33:00 EDT
Marco wrote:

>  Ask Gary xx or Paul Van xx about this. On this list the hardest marketing
>  men are named "Gary" or "Paul Van", even if this rule is not written in the
>  faq.

Hum, Marco left himself out, despite being quite a buyer.

We've had quite a few "what is this worth" postings recently, presumably by
new list members.  I suspect that is one list subscription reason for those
folks who end up having very short term list subscriptions.  Maybe it is worth
raising the question of the fairness in commenting on these kinds of postings,
esp. when we don't know things like geographical location, condition, or the
buying venue preference of the buyer.

I had two to three takers on an OM-2n for $190 and five takers on three 35mm
f/2.8 SC 's for $45 to $55, all within three days.  No one on the 50mm f/1.4
SC at $50, though.  That might tell you a bit about price vs. demand, but it's
all I'll say on the value of OM equipment, except for the following comments:

Folks have a right to ask whatever they wish for equipment.  It is a different
(than we've previously discussed regarding posted prices) form of price
heckling to argue online about the value of goods being contemplated for sale
or purchase when one doesn't have the goods to put up for sale at the price
they claim is their value.  I've put a few things up at what I thought were
fair prices and I'll shut up in the future about stuff I don't have, unless
I'm doing an appraisal or counseling a buyer.  In another words, it is
impossible to claim that a 18mm Zuiko is worth $488 in such and such a
condition when neither you nor anyone else has another one to sell.  That was
one sale in one point in time in one particular location and between two
unique people.

An item is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to
sell for, at the time they are both ready to make a deal.  And the human
nature involved in the transaction makes for some wild variations in prices,
futher confounded by the geographical location of the seller and buyer.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV