[OM] Free Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Free Zuiko
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:07:10 -0500 (EST)
  [Doris' Sunday Sermon]

  Dearly Beloved, I summon the brethren here today to help me recycle the
soul of a brave and fallen piece of OM hardware...

  Yesterday at a garage sale, I found an obscenely good deal on some
stuff, and an MC 50mm/1.8 came as part of it. I have too many 50's as it
is, and this one has a frozen f/stop ring, which I haven't the inclination
(let alone the knowledge) to fix. It had a little grit in the focusing,
but I used "Doris' Grit-Remover Trick", which consists of peeling a
Post-It note off, and folding it, sticky side
out, and carefully inserting it in the space between the outer & inner
barrels of the lens (bet you can't do this with Leica or Contax/Zeiss)
about 1/8th inch, and make an even sweep all the way around. Fold up
another Post-it and insert it about another 1/8th inch and repeat the
procedure. The idea is to pick up dirt with the sticky glue and the
open scoop part at the peak of the fold, but not to jam dirt
 further down the lens. A 50mm takes about 4 passes or so. Anyway, the
grit is 99leaned out.
   I know there's some of you out there that need parts, or enjoy
playing watchmaker and fixing these things. So...here's your chance at a
free Zuiko...[it stops down from f/16, does not stick, focuses,] to save
this pup from Doris' circular file. If you want this
thing for whatever reason, let me know. I'll pay postage, too (within
reason).
                                 Rev. Doris

  [Gary breaks out in a heart-rending performance of Amazing Grace here]