Re: [OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:04:34 +0100
Stuart Goggin wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
> I posted the instructions directly to Greg to save cluttering the list with
> reposts.
>
> The OM 1 is finally back together and working like new.   I tested it at
> -18C and the slow speeds were still spot on.   I ended up replacing the
> black leather again as I was not really happy with the job I did.  So now it
> has new brown German leather covers.   Looks quite good.   I should have
> taken some before and after photos....
>
> Its quite a good feeling to see a completely junked body look like new
> again.  It's also good to be able to get a completly stripped down body back
> into one peice again with no left over parts ;-)
>
> One method for mounting real leather is to thoroughly coat the rought
> surface of the leather with contact adhesive,  make sure it soaks in well.
> Whilst it is drying, coat a very small amount of contact adhesive around the
> very outside edge of the camera.  A thin strip of adhesive about 1-2mm wide
> around the entire perimeter on the body,  a little wider near the hinges,
> making sure not to let it flow into the body.   Then whilst the leather is
> still damp (Very impportant to not let the glue dry completely)  quickly
> attach the leather.  Using a suitable flat instrument press the leather hard
> against the body   The leather will stick very firmly to the outside edges,
> but not as firmly to the inner section.   It will still be possible to
> remove at a later date,  as I have done three times now ;-).  The contact
> adhesive will soak into the leather and prevent grain seperation and I guess
> provide a little water proofing.   Leather is porous so will allow the glue
> to dry overy time.
>
> So now I am again on the lookout for another OM 1 to do up. Unfortunately
> beat up and broken OM1's are a lot harder to find than good condition
> ones.....
>
> Stuart Goggin

Hi Stuart,

Congratulations on a job well done!

It has been interesing to follow your reports, as I also tinker
a bit now and then. Reading the manual is one thing, the experience
of someone who has actually "been there" is something entirely
different.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"