Re: [OM] Olympus MO Drive

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus MO Drive
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:24:04 -0500
Morgan Sparks wrote:
>I read a review about a year ago which mentioned that
>the Olympus 230 MO Drive was compatible with the "new 640MB media."  I
>haven't looked around to see if these disks are readily available, or
>how fast/slow they access, but the capacity is up there with CD's.  Has
>anyone seen or used 640's?
I am pretty sure that the Olympus 230 MO disks are compatible with the 640MB
drive, but not the other way around.  The MO drive has an international
standard, which makes it possible to use your 230 or other capacity disks in
another MO drive manufactured by another company with equal size or larger.

Although Olympus America does not seem to sell a 640MB MO drive, Olympus Japan
has a few models of 640MB MO drives, internal and external portable models.
Pricewise, Olympus' MO drives are much more expensive even in Japan and I have
seen on the Internet cheaper MO drives made by Japanese companies who are not
exporting their products to the US.  I should also add that Olympus Japan has
three models of external 230 drives, each in two colors, black and white.
Although consumers cater to Zip, Jaz, and Syquest drives, the publishing
industry seems to be using optical drives because of their use of huge piles of
graphic files.  At least one publisher I was in contact with said that they
would use a 2 GB optical disk, but I was relieved to find out that they would
receive my graphic file on a Zip disk.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/