Re: [OM] Firing an OM from a PC

Subject: Re: [OM] Firing an OM from a PC
From: duncanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:14:27 +1000
Wayne,

  This sort of thing is easily constructed by someone with a bit of
s/w and h/w nouse. Working at digital, I'd expect there be more than
one or two people in the building who could knock something up for you.

  I think a commercial version would probably be overkill for what you
want.

Try the following (note: I haven't tried this, it's just the first thing
that
came to my mind).

Gubbins:

          +5V<--+   +------->
                  |   |
                =|| |
           (relay)=||  \    to winder ctrl
                  =|| |
                  |   |
            PP0<--+   +------->
      (parallel port
        bit 0)

and then a piece of code to twiddle the bit.
Make sure you run this before (to unset the bit)
and once every time you want to fire off a shot.

a chunk of C-code

#include <conio.h> /* for BorlandC, anyway */

main ()
{
     outport(0x378, 0x00);
     delay(100);
     outport(0x378, 0x01);
}

  Sounds like it should work. Can anyone remember if 0x378
is usually the parallel port?

the usual disclaimers apply.

     duncan

Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 29/10/98 10:19:49