[OM] cocked shutters

Subject: [OM] cocked shutters
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:32:54 -0800
The question of whether you should leave a shutter cocked when you're
not using a camera has been around as long as there have been shutters
to cock.

Common sense suggests that tensioning the spring over long periods of
time is eventually going to weaken it. About 40 years ago I read in a
photo mag that the alloys used in modern shutter springs did not have
this problem.

Nevertheless... I prefer to leave the shutter "untensioned." It can't
cause any harm.