RE: [OM] T and FP sync

Subject: RE: [OM] T and FP sync
From: Wayne Harridge <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:07:38 +1100
Foxy,

        I believe this setting enables you to do time exposures without a
locking cable release.  The first press on the release opens the shutter,
the next press closes it.

> Also, the OM-3Ti and 4Ti do this high speed flash sync thing. Therefore, a
> FP type signal must be sent to the hot shoe to trigger the flash prior to
> the shutter opening. So, can we use a FP sync signal from a 1(n) or 2(n)
> trigger the F280 flash and have high speed sync on the old models? After
> all, the high speed sync is simulating a flash bulb anyway.
>
> Or can we use a signal from the 3/4Ti to trigger a flash bulb?

        I was thinking along similar lines, it might be worth an experiment.

        One thing which may be different between the 1/2 & 3/4 may be:

        On the 1/2 set at "FP", the flash contact closes prior to the first
shutter blind opening, this allows the flashbulb to start burning and get to
full brightness before the exposure starts.  I believe the delay is about 20
milliSec.  My guess is that if you used the F280 with a 1/2 on "FP" the
first 20 mS of flash output would be wasted, this is assuming the F280
produces full output "instantaneously" on triggering.  Depending on the
duration of the flash from the F280 (if it's longer than 1/60th), the full
frame would be exposed correctly.  This also assumes that the F280 "knows
what to do" when it just gets a simple trigger and is not controlled in any
other way by the camera.

        On the 1/2 set at "X" the flash will trigger when the first blind
has fully opened, with a shutter speed shorter than 1/60th, the first blind
will already have started to cover the film by the time the F280 fires.

        I assume the 3/4 sync timing with the F280 is similar to "FP".

        Anyone know for sure ?

        I guess somebody with the service manuals for the 3/4 could verify
this.

        ...Wayne