Re: FRAUD ALERT! (was: [OM] Macro kit (complete info to contact theselle

Subject: Re: FRAUD ALERT! (was: [OM] Macro kit (complete info to contact theseller))
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:49:01 -0800
Okay, I apologize for what might be perceived as threats against innocent
buyers in general. My threats were against a specific person who purchased
it, knowing it was already promised. I have reason to believe this is the
case, and I should have stated so in my mail to the group.

However, I'm simply amazed at the "get over it, crybaby" mentality of this
group in public. I have received nothing but supportive email by private
correspondance, but almost nothing but criticism in public email to the
list. (Thanks, Denton and David, for being somewhat supportive in public.)
There's probably a lessen there. These weren't 50/1.4 lenses -- there were
rare and unusual items in that offering.

An enlightening coincidence is the thread on insurance scams. A third of
the people seem to be plotting to screw their insurance company, and
another third seem to be upset over their high rates, and the final third
is scolding me for trusting someone to honor their promise. There's
probably another lesson there. I am only glad I did not do a camera deal
with any of those who see fit to steal from anyone, even if it is an
insurance company.

To those of you who wrote that it is no big thing to go back on a promise
to sell after you have received payment, you'll see your words in quote the
next time you try to sell something on this list. Sorry if you think that's
a threat -- I think it's The Golden Rule.

Again, I apologize to those who thought I was insulting all buyers and
sellers on this list in my first message, which I've probably now managed
to do with this follow-up. :-) I've had good dealings with several people
on this list, particularly David Brown -- I send him cash, and he puts the
equipment in the mail the same day. Wouldn't such a world be a great place
in which to live?

(Given the heat I've taken, perhaps I should just criticize David for
unrealistically raising my expectations... :-)

Anyway, this is probably enough. I won't post again on this topic, and I
encourage others to contact me via private email, rather than posting to
the list.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229