RE: [OM] Lens Hoods+Sigma disaster

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens Hoods+Sigma disaster
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:24:06 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Ulf Westerberg <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 6 oktober 1998 18:56
Ämne: Re: [OM] Lens Hoods+Sigma disaster

>Unfortunately it didn't seem to be a particularly solid construction, at
>least not in Sigmas rendering. My friends example,  on a Pentax K1000 after
>an indeed VERY dusty hike down and up the Grand Canyon broke totally in 6
>different pieces. My 35-70/3.5-4.5 on my OM4 was alongside all the time,
>exposed to exactly the same conditions with absolutely no problems (and
>still works fine).
>The whole lens seemed to be assembled completely without any screws, just
>modern plastics clamped together, hard for us Zuikoholics to believe, but
>true! When exposed with the fine, red dust of the Canyon, disintegration was
>inevitable.
>Having seen this disaster with my own eyes, I now know there ARE facts
>behind the rumours of Sigma lenses falling apart.
>
>Eventually my friend never repaired the lens, stating it would be a waste of
>money since it would probably fall apart again.
>
>I'd definitely stay out of Sigma's.
>
>Ulf Westerberg

Hey Ulf, perhaps this doesn´t apply to all Sigma lenses. My Sigma Mirror 600/8
was bought used for 1450 SKR (about 180 USD) almost 10 years ago and has been
used twice on dusty Kenya trips with a friend of mine. Apart from the focussing
which wasn´t all that smooth (from internal dust?) at first when I got it back,
it was OK. After some use however it felt just fine again. Several tourists
that he met on those trips commented that this combo, the OM-2SP and the Sigma
600 mirror lens gave a better view than most of the binocluars that they used
themselves! He actually managed to take several really sharp photos of some
rare antilops that hardly would have been possible with a shorter lens, and
this without a tripod. The short DOF makes focussing somewhat critical though.

Per Nordenberg