[OM] OM-1 vs OM-1n?

Subject: [OM] OM-1 vs OM-1n?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:41:37 -0800
Yesterday I found an OM-1 and OM-1n in a local store. I went in to have a
look at the Stylus Epic for my wife's birthday (to replace her stolen Trip35).

The OM-1 was marked at $159, while the OM-1n was $239. I had a quick
look at the OM-1, and after the clerk replaced the battery, the meter seemed
to work fine. It appeared very clean, with no marks, and the insides and lens
mount showed evidence of fairly light use. It had a Shoe 1 (cracked), and a
matte screen with centre prism, no split. Visible foam in mirror box looked
good, but foam on back was starting to get sticky. Mirror lockup worked. Self
timer seemed to work, but I can't recall the exact method on the OM-1. It did
have the MD badge and MD cover. It also had the longer film wind motion - I
don't know when this item changed.

I was rushed, so I didn't take a close look at the 1n. I understand the only
differences are: flash ready light with T flashes, and approx 5 years newer
manufacture date on the 1n. But are these things worth $80 if the bodies are
in similar condition? This dealer only offers a 30 day warranty, but assures
me the shutter speeds and meter have been tested.

Any thoughts?

ps: The same shop had a 2S for $260, and 2N black for $269, and an OM-4
black for $795.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright