Re: [OM] Wrenches

Subject: Re: [OM] Wrenches
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:59:23 -0500

cpl49 wrote:

> I always thought that a spanner was a crescent wrench.
> It spans the width of the bolt.
>
> A spanner wrench seems to be a different animal.
> Am I far off?
>
> Charlie Loeven

Well, actually, a Cresent wrench is an adjustable wrench which was
originally made by the Cresent Tool Company of Jamestown, NY.

The term "cresent wrench" is to wrenches what "Xerox" is to copiers or
"kleenex" is to tissues.

While some people call all wrenches spanners, I think of a particular
type of wrennch when I hear the term spanner.  One example is the tool
used to tighten or loosen the ring that holds filter glass to the
housing or the type of wrench used by people that open today's battery
operated wrist watches when replacing the power cell.....

That's my $0.02 worth.....

Bob
--

                   ////////