Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 16:59:44 -0500
At 08:09 PM 11/1/98 +0100, you wrote:

>All the contributors would have their own chapter with some brief
>information of who the person are, about where he or she lives, when the
>person started using Olympus cameras, lenses and accessories, and why
>he/she love the Olympus stuff. It could also include a small portrait of
>the contributor.

>Then, there would be photos from the contributor which could be of any
>subject and taken with any lens from fisheye to super telephoto - just
>as the web gallery are today.

As much as I love to see my photos in print :-) this is not the recipe for
a financially successful project. If it was to work, it would have to be a
'vanity' publication, where each contributor paid a portion of the
publishing cost. Which, before anyone complains about my negative attitude,
I would be willing to do :-)

A book that sells needs to have a theme and the theme of photos taken with
a camera system that is seen by the general public as obsolete is not going
to sell well. Would you buy a book that was about 'Photos Taken with a
Nikon'? 'Photos Taken with Minolta SRT101?' No, I didn't think so :-)  No
matter what the quality of the photos, it will be assumed that the book is
just advertising underwritten by the manufacturer. Which of course is the
other way to get a book out... I bet if we all were using Oly digicams they
might actually be interested!

Still, if you really want to pursue this, why not start small? It's just
about the time of year to start thinking about a calendar! What with 12
pages, front and back covers, etc., probably 15 people could get in!

Or, maybe we should just accept the new paradigm; publishing on the
internet is cheap to free!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com