Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 20:28:11 -0800
>From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>When I first joined this wonderful list, a similar idea was bounced around -
>only the subject then was a calendar instead of a book.  The problem then,
>should my failing memory serve, was cost.  Even for a minimal copy run, this
>is quite an expensive proposition...

I am set up for limited run publishing of such things. I'm using a QMS
magicolor 2 EX, which can produce magazine-quality images (8.1" x 10.6",
175 line screen, 2400x600 dpi) very inexpensively. I would be willing to
produce such a calandar at cost for list members, on the condition that I
be allowed to sell a numbered, limited run to the public at a profit.

The biggest problem as I see it is time and logistics. This is the calendar
season, and co-ordinating multiple photographers is, in my experience, like
herding cats! :-)

>...  If there is a way it can be done that I can afford...

My guesstimate is that the cost of a limited run calendar would be about
what you'd pay for a commercial photo calendar -- $10 to $20. Most of that
would be the labor cost of layout and binding, some of which I sub out.

>...  Our collective works surely would
>make a neat coffee table book!

Not that I want to dissuade anyone from a book project, but that would be
an order of magnitude more expensive and involved than a calendar. If you
go "vanity press," be prepared for well over $100 per copy. The alternative
is to interest a publisher. I have good contacts in the technical press
(working on a book right now), but can't help much with the art press,
unless my editor has some contacts there.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229