Olympus Calendar (was Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?)

Subject: Olympus Calendar (was Re: [OM] OM gallery into a book?)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:36:40 -0800
>From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
>I suppose each participant and/or others would have to commit to the
>purchase of a certain number...

No, my fixed costs are low. I do this anyway, so I'm set up for it. With a
color laser, the 1,000th one costs as much as the first one. (No, I wasn't
planning to amortize the cost of the printer in there... :-) Somewhere
between 500 and 1,000 is the break-even -- more than 1,000, it's cheaper to
go to traditional offset printing.

I've been doing signed, numbered runs of 500 on other things I'm producing.

>Also, does that include the drum scans?

No way! :-) Perhaps I'm missing something about Garth's endeavor -- are
people sending him prints and slides, and he's scanning them for the web,
or are they sending him scans they've obtained somehow?

Since this came up regarding The Gallery, I was assuming it was a digital
project, and that people would send me ~3300 by ~2200 pixel files -- a
~2400 dpi scan of a slide or negative. Alternatively, I could do some
scanning myself. I don't have a high-end scanner (Dmax 3.0), but it is
adequate for all but the densest slides or least dense negatives.

For an 8x10 from 35mm printed with a 150 lpi screen, a drum scan is usually
overkill for this kind of work. I strive for 300dpi final resolution, which
a 2400dpi scan achieves when blown up to 8" x 10". We're not talking Iris
prints here, we're talking something that hangs on a wall and is usually
admired at a distance! With a loupe, you can easily tell the QMS is not
continuos tone. At arm's length, it looks fine. Think "magazine quality"
rather than "photo quality."

These would be 11x14: two 11x8.5 pages with a comb or wire binding. (I'm
getting a full tabloid printer, but it won't be here in time for this
year's calendar season.)

To summarize: we're not talking coffee-book quality here, but we're not
talking coffee-book price or complexity, either!

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229