Re[2]: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Oly resurgent/NY Show/IPIX
From: "Jim Loudon" <jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 06:09:02 PST
I've been fidgeting about this thread since it began, and can
no longer resist.  The comment that got me off the fence:

> This is at least part true, and at least part happening, at least
> in the price-is-no-object world.

is an interesting one, because this is where some of Olympus' recent
offerings are to be found.  The bad news is that this arena isn't
conventional photographic systems.

About a week and a half ago, my wife came home from work sporting a
spiffy new neck cord for her hospital ID.  The cord has the official
Olympus logo plastered all over, and no, I haven't been able to wrest
it away, yet :-)  There's a story associated with her trinket...

It seems that Olympus has been busy integrating digital capture
capabilities into their medical imaging products, and at least one
major teaching hospital in the Philadelphia area will be evaluating
one of these systems in the immediate future (I'll let the list know
how it went, and whether there were any more Olympus goodies to be
had :-) ).  All I know at this time about the imaging system in
question is that it generated immediate interest amongst those who
saw the initial demo (yes, they know about demos).  The actual field
trial begins in another few weeks.

I confess that I'm totally ignorant of happenings in the medical
imaging field, but my impression is that Olympus may have a
leading-edge product here (again).  I think it also reinforces the
previous observations that Olympus is moving away from silver-based
imaging systems.  Compared to the other familiar names (Canon, Nikon,
Minolta), Olympus is a comparatively small company, with a
correspondingly small development capability, and they've apparently
put what few eggs they have in the digital imaging basket...

jim