Re: [OM] OM-10 fix up tips

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 fix up tips
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:38:44 GMT
On Tue, 03 Nov 1998 13:16:58 -0500, John Hermanson <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Olympus switched to plastic 3 screw bottom  covers early in production. Later
>came Type II OM-10s (above serial number 2,000,000) which has a modular metal
>shafted shutter mechanism. The curtain shafts in the original 10 are some kinda
>high tech plastic.  This is one reason the 10 is made so the motor drive will
>not function on it.  Doing so would melt the shutter shafts (we tried it).
>These improvements were all put into the OM-G, though the OM-10 was not
>discontinued when the G came out.
>
>John

One more tip, unasked but maybe welcome...

I used to find it difficult to see if a camera or lens part was made
out of plastic or metal. I found a way, by pure coincidence: you can
easily feel rather than look what it is with... your lips.

Metal feels cool or cold and plastic feels much warmer.
Try the OM-10 (this is what reminded me of it) and slowly shift your
lip from the main bottom plate to the battery cover - and you will
understand what I mean.

With 50/1.8 lenses you could find out even in complete darkness
whether you had the old model (SC?) or the newer (MC?) by just
pressing your lips to the aperture ring....

Now that I come to think of it - I guess it would be wise to have the
testing room either in darkness or very private - maybe people would
start thinking strange things when they watch you kissing a Zuiko...
And what will happen when you have to explain that this is your way to
tell if a lens is multi- or single-coated....

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.