Re: [OM] Fill flash with T-20

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill flash with T-20
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:09:35 -0800
<<I know this has been gone over before, but I read about a person who
used cloth to cover the output of the T-20 to cut the light in half
during fill flash. I would imagine this would have to be done in manual
mode, or the TTL or auto functions would just extend the flash time to
compensate? How would you know how much cloth to use to cut the light in
half? I guess you could use 10ft as distance and asa 100 film speed, and
a flash meter to experiment with how much cloth. Then using those
numbers, you could calculate for other distances and film speeds. Any
thoughts would be appreciated. John.>>

The official technical answer is, one clean white man's handkerchief. :-)

Try this,  1/60 or slower.  Say for example the correct exposure is F8, set
the regular (not TTL) auto flash at F4, or 5.6.  This depends on how much
light is lost on the way
to the subject.

I also have done this,  a cloudy, grey day, or even raining.  Great fashion
light.
Just set the flash on TTL auto and fire away.  It is not exactly fill flash,
it brings out the subject against the b'ground with no shadows.  Make sure
the flash is at least 12" above the lens.

Charlie Loeven
cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx