[OM] Zuiko 18mm and polarisers.

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 18mm and polarisers.
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:33:37 -0000
Hi all,

I recently picked up (from Paul Tokarowski) a superb example of the 18mm
f/3.5 (no. 100717) and finally got round to testing it properly on a recent
visit to Scotland. The fall colours were superb, almost as good as New
England when I was there a few years back. I absolutely adore this lens and
should have bought it years ago.

Prior to my trip I bought a Heliopan 72mm filter to use on the 18mm. I have
wanted a good quality CIR-POL for some time and this is what I ended up
with. Its a top quality German filter and cost me almost as much as the
18mm :-) However, I reckoned it was a good investment as I could use it on
all my 49mm Zuikos by just transfering the filter and 49-72mm adapter that
comes with the 18mm (I bought a 55mm Hoya CIR-POL at the camera club
auction for about $5 the other day which will fit all my other lenses).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am still getting slight vignetting
with the Heliopan filter, even though it is 72mm. Has anyone else got this
problem? Should I have gone for, say, a 77mm filter and a further adapter,
or should I have bought a different brand (say Hoya or B&W). The Heliopan
filter is very deep, about 5 or 6mm but I don't see the vignetting through
the lens when stopped down - just a tiny cut off in each corner of the
slide when it comes back. BTW the Heliopan filter mount is solid brass and
it screws onto lens a dream. It really does make a difference and there's
absolutely no binding.

As always, thoughts, comments and general abuse welcome.

regards

John