[OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21

Subject: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:45:24 -0800
I finally got a Stylus Epic for my wife's birthday yesterday. Now I have to
wait a month before I can play with it :-(

I'm still undecided on the OM-1 vs 21/24 lenses. The OM-1 is not quite as good
as I first thought - it does have some small dings near the eyelets. The inside
is very clean looking however. The meter at B, ISO 100 is nearly centered,
which is a good thing, according to John H.
I also looked at the OM-2S ($300, not 260 as I thought), but found the meter
hard to read on the side of the display. I also though there was something
wrong with it, until I realized it was on program mode! (shutter speed would
"stick"). How does the spot work? Is it an instantaneous reading whenever in
manual mode? The shutter speed ring was very tight, which made me a bit wary...
I now know about the "sexy" shutter sound of the 2S... Sounds like the Porsche
Carrera of the OMs... :-)

I looked at the 21/3.5 and 24/2.8. I loved both of these lenses, but the 24 is
a SC version, and quite worn. The 21 is MC, but has a few cleaning marks on the
front element. If I can manage the cost, I will try for the 21 I think. Are
there times when a 21 is too wide for landscapes?

I also played with the 180/2.8 - what a great lens! It feels not much bigger
than a 200/4, and handles very nicely.