Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:46:43 -0800
On  6 Nov 98 at 19:58, Richard Ross wrote:

> >I also looked at the OM-2S ($300, not 260 as I thought), but found the meter
> >hard to read on the side of the display. I also though there was something
> >wrong with it, until I realized it was on program mode! (shutter speed would
> >"stick"). How does the spot work? Is it an instantaneous reading whenever in
> >manual mode?
>
> Yes - think of it as a *very* centre weighted meter - it reads the area of
> the microprism spot, approx.  Each segment of the bar graph is 1/3 stop, so
> you can use it to get an idea of the contrast of your subject.
Thanks. Although the 2S would make a good companion to my 4T, I can't really
justify this amount for a backup body, so I'll probably keep an OM-10 for now.

> >I looked at the 21/3.5 and 24/2.8. I loved both of these lenses, but the
> 24 is
> >a SC version, and quite worn. The 21 is MC, but has a few cleaning marks
> on the
> >front element. If I can manage the cost, I will try for the 21 I think. Are
> >there times when a 21 is too wide for landscapes?
>
> Yes, and there are times when a 24 is too narrow :-)  Were I you, I would
> go for the 21.  It's a terrific lens, and can give a real feeling of being
> *in* the landscape.  I can't do better than echo the advice in the Oly Lens
> Handbook which says something like "compose the picture, and then take one
> step forward".  It works - that's the best bit of advice I ever read re
> super wides.  I have a b/w shot of Castlerigg Stone Circle, up in the Lake
> District of northern England, taken with the 21.  I crouched, close up to
> one of the stones, to take the shot - the foreground has a group of what
> seem to be huge standing stones and then there's the rest of the circle and
> the surrounding hills in the background. The pic is on my living room wall.
> A few years later I went back to Castlerigg, and was a bit surprised at how
> *small* the stones are!  So in other words, the 21 is capable of producing
> some quite dramatic effects but without distortion, and it has tremendous
> depth of field.  I love it :-)  There are two examples of it on my (so far
> rather small, but I'm working on it) gallery page
>
> http://www.nildram.co.uk/rhdesign/gallery/index.htm
>
> "Skye Trees" and "East Lynn Woods" are both taken with the 21.
Thanks - I saw these last week and very much liked the effect. I am sold on the
21 now...
What paper did you print these two shots on? Are they toned? What did you use
for the diffusion effect on Skye Trees? I very much like this effect. I
recently tried some diffusion by shooting about the 1/3 of the exposure with
the enlarger focus shifted, lens wide open. I like the effect I got, but it's
not quite how I wanted it - your Skye Trees is much more like what I was aiming
for.