Re: [OM] Sticky diaphragm?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sticky diaphragm?
From: RK <sharmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 21:48:50 +0500
At 11:53 PM 11/6/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>have just picked up a Zuiko 55mm F1.2 this afternoon by mail order off the
>web, in what seemed like pretty nice condition. Glass is perfect, some wear
>apparent on front of aperture ring, but my main concern is what may be a
>"sticking diaphragm". I have never seen this condition before, so I'm not
>sure if this is what it is, or even if it is a problem.
>
>When I use the dof preview button (with lens on or off camera) the aperture
>blades seem to close down as per normal, but when I release the dof, the
>blades don't "snap" back as quickly as on my other lenses. They do retract
>smoothly, but slowly. With aperture at f16 and shutter speed set to 1/1000
>on my OM-1n the stop down phase is too fast to see, but after the mirror
>has dropped, the blades can be seen retracting.
>
>Does the fact that the sluggish aperture retraction is occurring *after*
>exposure has been made mean that there isn't going to be any problems with
>exposure (that's what I would think logically anyway) .
>
>I found a related thread on the list from a couple of months back that
>suggested that it is possible to dismantle a lens and remove oil which
>could be the cause, but I would be a bit nervous about this in case I
>couldn't get mine back together again! Lenses like this one don't appear
>too often in Aust.
>
>Is this a problem which a repair centre can easily/safely repair? Is it
>worth worrying about? Will it get worse?
>
>I can put a roll thru over the weekend to try to check it, but any advice
>from the list would be welcome.
>
>I am particularly keen to try this lens. I have read that it has a "lovely
>softness to the out of focus areas". There seem to be many more diaphragm
>blades in this lens (9 or 10?) and I wonder whether this soft quality may
>be due to that mysterious "bokeh" (oh no, here we go again........).
>
>thanx in advance
>
>peter

While I wouldn't be able to help re the sticky diaphragm, I can vouch for
the softness that this lens creates at open aperture. I like taking candids
in available light with the lens wide open and it took me some time to
realize that the apparent haziness, was a combination of this softness and
the razor thin depth of field. Have fun!
RK