Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic, OM-1 vs 24/21
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:55:44 -0800
On 7 Nov 98, at 10:53, Richard Ross wrote:

> Shawn wrote
> >> "Skye Trees" and "East Lynn Woods" are both taken with the 21.
> >Thanks - I saw these last week and very much liked the effect. I am sold
>
> Skye Trees is on Agfa Multicontrast paper, sepia toned.  I diffused it by
> printing part of the exposure through a 6x6 anti-newton glass slide mount.
> I use that for convenience, but any diffusing material should do.  A
> polythene bag, or even (i'm told) a nylon stocking!  (At least that's what
> we call them here - across the pond I think you have another word for them
> :-) )   I sometimes shoot through the diffuser as well - this makes the
> highlights bleed into the shadows whereas printing diffusion bleeds the
> shadows into the highligts.  Either way, the effect is quite different from
> de-focussing.  The shot was taken on Agfa APX25, with an orange filter.

I recently started using Agfa MC in 11x14 size, as it is half the cost of
Ilford/Kodak. Aside from the glossy paper being very easy to crease, I quite
like it. Sadly, Agfa B/W films are very hard to find here, and quite expensive.

> East Lynn Woods is a lith print on Kentmere Kentona paper. It's untoned,
> that's the natural colour from the lith process.  Shot on Agfa APX400,
> again with an orange filter.
Another interesting effect. I knew it was different, but wouldn't have guessed
it was lith...

> The other pix on the page are medium format.  I hope to get some more up
> there soon, but as my scanner is a bit basic it takes a while to get them
> looking right...
Even a *good* scanner often trashes b/w prints I find... I think you've very
well
on those you have posted.
Thanks for the info on printing.

ps: One more question - condensor or diffusion head? The school has one
old Beseler with a diffusion colour head. I've been meaning to try it to see
how diffusion affects the print.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright