Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?

Subject: Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 14:23:25 -0600
>Paul wrote:
>
>> and did come up with a couple
>> of references to the fact that the nominal discharge rate of NiCd batteries
>> should be on the order of 1%/day.
>
>That´s what I experienced with my other NiCd cells, so the 15V pack acts
>strange.
>
>William Sommerwerck wrote:
>
>> I've owned two of these, and both have gone bad in the same way -- a
>> full charge will power many rolls of film, but the pack rapidly
>> self-discharges.
>
>Exactly what my pack does.
>
>> I recently had NiMH cells put in my M.15V.
>
>How long do they hold there charge unused? I´m asking, because
>traveling, you might not have a chance to recharge the pack. Even if the
>pack might be good for more than 40 rolls of film, does the charge last
>for more than a month?

NiMH are supposed to be WORSE than Nicads with regard to
self-discharging.  I've seen web pages that describe it
as being as high as 15% PER DAY -- but I believe that to be
an extreme figure.  Of course, Most AA NiMH have about a
1200 mah rating and most Nicads have 600 to 800 mah.
Plus, you can "top-off" NiMH any time you want and I don't
THINK you can do that with Nicads without FIRST draining
them -- I think even "Smart" Nicad chargers do that ( I
could be wrong on this point, however ).

Mark Hammons