Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?

Subject: Re: [OM]self discharge 15V NiCd control pack ?
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 17:04:49 +0100
Mark Hammons wrote:

> NiMH are supposed to be WORSE than Nicads with regard to
> self-discharging.  I've seen web pages that describe it
> as being as high as 15% PER DAY -- but I believe that to be
> an extreme figure.  Of course, Most AA NiMH have about a
> 1200 mah rating and most Nicads have 600 to 800 mah.

I have to choose between 9V blocks of 150mAh (NiCd) and 160mAh (NiMh),
not a big difference, neither in price. 9V blocks have the advantage to
be made of matched pairs of cells.

I´ve seen NiCd AA cells up to 1000mAh capacity, but some sources claim,
that higher capacity NiCd have an higher internal resistance (not so
good for flash).

> Plus, you can "top-off" NiMH any time you want and I don't
> THINK you can do that with Nicads without FIRST draining
> them

I do this with my flash NiCd cells too, no adverse effect noticed so
far.

Regards

Richard