Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?

Subject: Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:28:43 -0000
Giles

Stay away from the Trekker, its far too light to support anything other
than an Mju. I have just swapped mine (and twenty quid) for a brand new
Uniloc Major 1600 (Benbo copy) which someone bought, on my advice, and then
found it too heavy. The only thing the Trekker was any good for, and the
thing I'll miss it most for, was its ability to support my infra-red
trigger unit in any position. The Uniloc will be OTT for that. Still....

I originally had a massive Benbo but had it pinched. I replaced it with the
Uniloc  because that's all I could get at the time, though it is quite a
bit smaller than my Benbo Mk 'whatever it was'. Apart from height they are
identical though - in fact the Benbo rep told me Uniloc have to pay Benbo a
percentage commission each time they sell a Uniloc because of infringement
of copyright on the design. As a wildlife/landscape photographer I couldn't
recommend anything else really, apart from a Gitzo which I fancy, but
that's a £400 difference in price to the Benbo. The only drawback to the
Benbo is that it doesn't go flat to the floor easily due to the centre
coloumn. Now that I have two I have sawn off the centre column of one of
them.

The Trekker is ok if you are only using short focal lengths, but it
definately won't support a 300mm.

BTW why does everyone insist on having a light weight tripod and then
carrying round a damn great camera bag to hang from it to give extra
stability. A tripod has to be HEAVY to do its job. If its not heavy its no
good. I don't care how far you have to walk or over what terrain - a tripod
is a tripod is HEAVY.

Off my high horse now.

John.