Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?

Subject: Re: [OM] Benbo tripods - which?
From: "John Gardner" <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:37:59 -0000
Doris wrote

>   Actually, a rigid tripod. No one here has mentioned the Gitzo Carbons,
> which has become quite popular with wildlife photographers.

I didn't mention it as I can't afford it. Here in the UK a Gitzo carbon
fibre which I priced up was about £400 ($550) without a head!

> > It is a matter of controlling the amplified vibration and amount of
> > enlargement.
> >   This can be helped greatly by using a Bogen "Long lens support", an
> extra leg that goes from the camera tripod socket to one of the tripod
> legs.Part # 3252. Clumsy to set up, or switch to vertical or viceversa,
> but real steady.

You guys have it so cushy in the States, here in the UK you can't get all
these wonderfull gizmos and have to invent your own. To get round
supporting my 600mm in low light while working from my hide, I have screwed
one of the Manfrotto (Bogen?) hex plates to a piece of half inch plywood
(sorry my European bretheren, I have no idea what a half inch is in mm) and
then fastened this to the tripod. On top of this I lay a beanbag and put
the long lens on top of this. You can't beat a beanbag for support under
any condition IMHO. I still have the use of the ball and socket head too
with this set up, so its easy to move the camera around.

>   The design of the Benbo has definite advantages for field use. The
> abilities to conform to irregular terrain are unique (save for the
> copycat/improved version, Uniloc). It is faster to set up & take down,
and
> unequaled for macro. Plus, the sealed legs let you go in mud & crud
> without having to endure the cleaning ritual later. One can just hose the
> legs off.

I'm with you here.

>   It's what makes OM so seductive for me. For "big", I have N*k*n.

Ahem.. Me too.

John.