Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:29:57 -0500 (EST)
>First, I do not have a OM3-Ti so I have no first hand experience on
>this topic, however I do recall that It has been mentioned a number
>of times on this list that the coating on the 3Ti is much tougher
>than that on the 4Ti.

I've got both the 3Ti and 4Ti, and yes, the coatings are very different.
While the 4Ti is definitely painted with black paint, the 3Ti appears to
be anodized rather than painted.  The appearance is different in both
colour and texture.  As noted in previous discussions, the colour of the
3Ti is more of a metallic grey and not black.  The surface also feels
a little rougher than the 4Ti, which is why I suspect that it isn't paint.

>I suspect  your question has gone unanswered because no one on the
>list who owns a 3Ti uses it.   They are all packed away carefully in
>cupboards as collectors items or investments. ;-)

Perhaps I should be doing this given the recent increases in Olympus
prices :-)  I typically put about 20-30 rolls of film per year through
my 3Ti, not a lot, but enough to give it moderate use.  In the two years
that I've had it, it has held up beautifully, not a single scratch or
abrasion.  On that same camera I have mounted a databack 4 (which is
painted black) and it has already started to show wear on the edges.
Perhaps this is an indication that the coating of the 3Ti is tougher
than the black paint.
                                -mark