Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing
From: Scj9000@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:44:50 EST
In a message dated 11/11/98 10:42:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, md@xxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
<< I've got both the 3Ti and 4Ti, and yes, the coatings are very different.
 While the 4Ti is definitely painted with black paint, the 3Ti appears to
 be anodized rather than painted.  >>

I repped for ten years for the largest manufacturer of eyewear worldwide (a
Japanese firm) who also were the first to jump into Titanium (mid-eighties) as
a viable metal for ophthalmic eyewear. They flew me over a couple of times to
tour the factories,  and one of the most facinating factories was the on in
which they ion-plated the Titanium.  The OM-3 sounds like has had this type of
treatment for cladding on the paint...it produced a soft, almost charcoal
appearance to the blacks. They use that because Titanium as a rule does not
hold a paint coat well...but with ion plating we were able to offer a lifetime
gaurantee on our product.
They also manufactured many Titanium and ion-plated items for other
goods...Waterman pens, etc. I often wondered if they had a contract for OM
becasue I saw a bunch of OM boxes lined up in one of the factories. When I
asked the technician, he simply shrugged and said "probably"...between all the
contractors from Europe and Asia he said they numbered in the hundreds each
year.
Susan