Re[2]: [OM] OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] OM-3T brassing
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:15:58 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:46:15 +0100, Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed all
night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> Giles wrote:

> > I think the reputation of the 4Ti paint is a little unfair.  It wears
> > because people use them a lot as they are such great machines
> > to use for their intended purpose.

> As long as the 4Ti is considered as the tool it is, the paint is not
> much of a problem. But it is remarkable that the finish of that one
> OM model is so much more vulnerable than all the others.

I think it's just the combination of actual paint and the Titanium. I
have an original OM-4 from 1985, bought in Japan, and there's no
brassing beyond the camera-strap rings and some baseplate scratches,
though some pretty serious amature use all those years. In general,
paint just sticks to brass better than Titanium, and as the only painted
Titanium model, it makes sense the 4Ti should have this problem.

What doesn't make sense is why paint in the first place. Anodized
(electroplated) finished just plain last longer, and you got this on the
standard OM-1s and OM-2s. Some sort of black anodized finish, as they're
using on the OM-3Ti, apparently (not like I can afford one of those bad
boys), is the right solution. The only question is, why only the 3Ti? It
should have been used everywhere.

> Especially
> when the 3Ti proves that a solution is readily available. I do not
> believe that the finish of the 3Ti costs more than a few $ more than
> the paint.

It's probably not the plating material as much as the cost in the
process of doing the plating. Not that it's rocket science or anything,
and when you're spending that much for a camera, what's an extra $10 or
$20 for a far superior finish?

> I wonder if the camera paint threads might ever cause the "fear and
> loathing" we know from the 50mm/f:1.8 threads?   ;-)

Hope so! I would love to pick up a used OM-4Ti body for cheaper-than-usual.
Not that I really need a 5th OM-series body. Or do I?
--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One