Re: [OM] FS Zuiko 200mm f5 - AUCTION NOW?

Subject: Re: [OM] FS Zuiko 200mm f5 - AUCTION NOW?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:20:40 -0800
>From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
>
>Hello all bidders on Alains lens.
>Just to let you know how I replied to his 'auction' announcement....

Some of you may recall that I was stung in a similar deal with Remi
Cloutier that was set up by Alain through an advertisement on this list.
Perhaps it is simply cultural, and how they normally do business in Quebec,
or perhaps these two are training each other in greed and deceit.

When I first saw Alain's ad, I was tempted to mention that he was
peripherally involved in my bad deal. However, Alain had replied to my
previous comments about Cloutier with something like "don't shoot the
messenger." It now appears he has taken the Cloutier "greed is stronger
than integrity" message to heart!

My advice to any others on the list who have knowingly or unknowingly "bid"
against each other in this impromptu "auction:" don't let him get away with
it -- all of you should boycot any deal that is more than the original
asking price, as Frank has. Think of it this way: you're all dupes for
someone who is too lazy to do his own price research -- does that make you,
the winner of this charade, feel any better about your "win?"

Consider also my experience: you may finally outbid your competitors and
send Alain the money, only to discover some later bid came in after the
check went out, and you STILL didn't win. Even if such a scoundrel returns
your check, you're out your postage, your effort, and tying up your funds
until you get the payment back.

To paraphrase Nancy Reagan, Just Say No to deal breakers!

>How do you think about it?

Good for you, Frank! Not that I'm glad at the misfortune of others, but
after taking so much heat, I'm glad others feel the same way upon finding
themselves on "the other end" of such dishonorable behavior.

To end on a positive note: I'd like to say "thanks" to Rand Adams, with
whom I just completed a pleasurable and honorable Olympus deal. (Too bad he
won't be dealing here any more, 'cause I bought everything he had with
"Olympus" on it! But he took all my money, and I'm eating beans and
shivering in the dark, clutching my new Oly gear tight for warmth, begging
on street corners for a few coins with which to buy film... :-)

>>On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:33:24 -0500, Alain Duquet
>><alain.duquet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Frank
>>>
>>>I have 4 buyers for this lens...
>>>just make a better offer, not necessarily very hight but participate,
>>>and the best offer win.
>>Paying the delivery cost is of course OK, but I am not willing  to
>>participate in this sudden 'auction'.
>>
>>You offered the lens for a fixed $100 price, and should sell it for
>>that amount to the first bidder who wants to take it for that.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229