Re: [OM] FS Zuiko 200mm f5 - AUCTION NOW?

Subject: Re: [OM] FS Zuiko 200mm f5 - AUCTION NOW?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:40:13 -0800
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Doris Fang (of all people!) wrote:

>Why would you want to own anything this Alain person has touched ?
>This is a low way of doing business.  Unacceptable.  [...]
>Let Mr. Duquet sell somewhere else, we don't need to put up with
>this here.  This two out of two similar deals.

Hey, hey!  Calm down, everyone!  While I certainly don't advocate
Alain Duquet's approach to selling photogear on this list, may I
remind everyone that we, the List, never made an effort to agree
on a set of ground rules, or guidelines, for conducting such sales.

Until now things seemed to work out smoothly, with minimum or no
friction between buyers and sellers.  However, IMHO, as our list
grows and attracts participants from a wide variety of cultures,
languages, and traditions, such guidelines should be considered.
This is an accepted mechanism on other mailing lists, and we ought
to examine several such "Guidelines", and adopt the one that best
suits our purposes.

In the mean time, I do implore everyone to refrain from making
comments they may later regret.  Judging from Alain's posts, to
me(!) he sounds quite sincere if somewhat misguided.  Linguistic
difficulties must be an inevitable source of miscommunication,
and neither Alain nor the entire Quebec Province should be held
responsible for that other jerk Remi(sp?).  Sadly, there is no
country I know of where jerks are in short supply.

Finally, if we must have a food fight over this, may I at least
request that the food be french, or at minimum, quebeqois? :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx