[OM] I've been shopping :-) part I: the T32 Omni Bounce

Subject: [OM] I've been shopping :-) part I: the T32 Omni Bounce
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 06:31:25 -0500
Last friday I ordered from Sto-Fen two Omni Bounces: for the T32 and
G40, and they arrived last wednesday. How's that for quick
international ordering? In fact they were in such a hurry they didn't
have time to check the spelling of my name and street address and
distorted it beyond recognition, but fortunately the postal code, city
and country was correct.
I don't have a G40 flash yet - nor do I have the IS-3000 that should
come with it, but ordered the G40 Omni Bounce for future expansion of
my equipment :-). So I can't test that one yet, but the T32 Omni Bounce
looks very good. It is not too big, and slides into the filter groove
like the wide angle adapter, but unlike that one the Omni Bounce
extends one inch to the front, allowing the light to bounce upwards and
downwards. You are supposed to tilt the flash head slightly upwards
unless you want the light to bounce from the floor as well, or when you
are shooting vertically. Unlike normal bouncing on the ceiling some
light goes through straigh ahead, which should eliminate nose shadows.
The light reduction of more than two stops can be a problem when you're
shooting 100 ASA. At a common shooting distance for portraits of 1.5-2
meter you can't stop down any further than F4.
I'm very curious what it will do to reduce red eyes. So I used the cat
as a model. When you flash cats straight in the eyes you get a bizarre
green eye effect, btw.  I'm anxious to see the results.

Hans