RE: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)

Subject: RE: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:21:45 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Mark Hammons <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 11 november 1998 03:32
Ämne: Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)

Mark Hammons wrote:
>If OM-2Sp spot metering does NOT allow the camera to "MEMORIZE" a spot reading
>like
>the OM-3(t) and OM-4(T[i]) cameras do -- that is to say its spot meter is
>working all the
>time -- even up until when you compose your picture.  Thus, on AUTO or Program
>it would
>always force you to expose on the center of the composition, which kind of
>destroys the
>whole rational behind spot metering.

Thanks Mark, I think I get the picture now. Maybe one can see the spot metering
of OM-2S/P and OM2000 as a kind of "poor mans version" (albeit a usable one) of
the multi-spot metering of the more expensive OM-3 and OM-4?

>One, I guess, could argue that the OM-2Sp should have had a button that
>allowed one to
>lock the exposure.  I don't know the story behind why it didn't but I'll bet
>it had to do
>with Marketing :-)

>Mark Hammons

My IS-3000 has a spot button with which I can get a fixed (not storable) spot
reading in all exposure modes (except flash photography and in Night-Scene
mode), but I have found the real time spot metering of my OM-2SP far superior.
It is much better to have spot metering working continouosly in manual, than
having a separate spot button which sometimes is not easy to reach (and having
to check in the viewfinder all the time whether it has been engaged or not).
The only drawback I can possibly think of would be when you do flash
photography with the OM-2SP in manual.

Per Nordenberg