Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot measuring (was:OM-2000 queries)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 07:34:44 -0600

>Mark Hammons wrote:
>>If OM-2Sp spot metering does NOT allow the camera to "MEMORIZE" a spot
>>reading like
>>the OM-3(t) and OM-4(T[i]) cameras do -- that is to say its spot meter is
>>working all
the
>>time -- even up until when you compose your picture.  Thus, on AUTO or
>>Program it would
>>always force you to expose on the center of the composition, which kind of
>>destroys the
>>whole rational behind spot metering.
>

>Thanks Mark, I think I get the picture now. Maybe one can see the spot
>metering of
OM-2S/P and OM2000 as a kind of "poor mans version" (albeit a usable one) of the
multi-spot metering of the more expensive OM-3 and OM-4?

Yes, I think that is the case -- its the poor man's version.

>>One, I guess, could argue that the OM-2Sp should have had a button that
>>allowed one to
>>lock the exposure.  I don't know the story behind why it didn't but I'll bet
>>it had to
do
>>with Marketing :-)
>

>My IS-3000 has a spot button with which I can get a fixed (not storable) spot
>reading in
all exposure modes (except flash photography and in Night-Scene mode), but I
have found
the real time spot metering of my OM-2SP far superior. It is much better to
have spot
metering working continouosly in manual, than having a separate spot button
which
sometimes is not easy to reach (and having to check in the viewfinder all the
time whether
it has been engaged or not). The only drawback I can possibly think of would be
when you
do flash photography with the OM-2SP in manual.

>Per Nordenberg

One problem I see with manual is that you can only work in 1-stop steps.  In
Automatic
 or Program ) you
can work in 1/3rd stop steps by using the film-speed dial.  It would be nice to
be able to
STORE a spot
reading in Automatic, even if its only one spot reading -- not multispot, and
then
compensate with the film
speed dial.  The only way to do that in Manual is by setting the aperture
between F-stop
clicks.  Thats
another thing I wish zuiko lenses had -- apertures that adjust in 1/2 stop
clicks  ( Leica
does that on
lots of their lenses!).

Mark Hammons